Friday 13 February 2009

Roots and History of Some Words (This one is Colloquial)

The word Etymology has been sticking in my head since yesterday and I was wondering what it exactly meant. So, I thought of 'Wiki' ing the word and here is what it means - Etymology is the study of the roots and history of words. I was thrilled to read the whole section about it, till such time I was struck with this thought of how some people use words without thinking, those that don't have a concrete meaning and those which have no roots, whatsoever!

Let me quote some of the examples in Kannada, just for laughs :)

  • ತಲೆ ಕಾಯಿ ಬುರುಡೆ
  • ಕತ್ತೆ ಬಡವ
  • ಮಣ್ಣು ತಿನ್ನು
  • ಬಡ್ಡಿ ಮಗ ......... ಇತ್ಯಾದಿ

ಈ ಪದಗಳು ಹೇಗೆ ಹುಟ್ಟಿದವು ? ಇದರ ಅರ್ಥ ಏನು ? ಇದಕ್ಕೆ ಅರ್ಥವಾದರು ಇದಿಯೆ ? ಅಲ್ಲ, ಯಾರಿಗಾದರು ಬಯ್ಯಬೇಕಾದರೆ ಪಾಪ ಬಡಪಾಯಿ ಕತ್ತೆಗೇಕೆ ಹೋಲಿಸುವಿಕೆ ? ಕೆಲಸ ಆಗದಿದ್ದಲ್ಲಿ ’ಹೋಗು ಮಣ್ಣು ತಿನ್ನು’ ಯೆನ್ನುವುದಾದರು ಯೇಕೆ ? ತಿನ್ನುವುದಕ್ಕೆ ಮಣ್ಣೀ ಬೇಕೆ ? ಹಾಗೆಯೇ, ಬಡ್ಡಿ ಮಗ ಎಂದರೇನರ್ಥ ? ಮಗ ಬಡ್ಡಿ ಕಟ್ಟಬೇಕೆ ಅಥವ ಕಟ್ಟಿಲ್ಲವೆ... ಈ ರೀತಿ ಬೇರೆ ಪದಗಳೂ ಇವೆ, ಆದರೆ ಸಧ್ಯಕ್ಕೆ ಉದಾಹರಣೆಗೆ ಇವು ಸಾಕು, ನೀವೇನ೦ತೀರಿ ?

ಏನೇ ಹೇಳಿ, ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಬರೆಯುವುದು ಒ೦ದು ’ಥ್ರಿಲ್ಲು’, ರೀ!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learnt something new today, thanks to you Chits.. nangu gothriralilla. aadre kannada words kelokke impagi ide.. unfortunately kannadadalli bariyakke aagalls so, thames script nalli namma kannada.. idu onthara thrillu.. half thrillu :-)
Koki

Chitra said...

Heheheh koks! yup, when I think I have all the time in the world I tent to wiki...anyway, writing kannada in Thames script is what I knew of till I downloaded baraha.com... try it out... its cool. Now I am planning to email 'Tatima' a letter using baraha.com... howzzat?

Arti said...

Hi Kane...sakkat aagi ide ninn post... its very casual and something so different... liked it a lot..