Tuesday 5 August 2008

Conquering Patience

I sometimes feel developing a good amount of patience is Rocket Science indeed. We come across different kinds of people in our lives, some possess tremendous amount of patience and some lack to the core. In my case, since I lack a fair amount of patience, I desperately feel the urge to conquer patience for my own good – me being one tough and aggressive cookie around. But, in reality, it seems incredibly difficult. Here, I crib about the fact that, being the daughter of that lovely couple whose patience level is sky-high, how on earth I haven’t got it in my blood? Had it been natural to me, had I inherited that quality, things would have been easy.

When hubby is not around, while missing him madly, I recollect all our recent arguments that had left us hurt or even look back at my immature reactions to his un adulterated nagging. It then hits me and makes me quickly type a text or call him apologising for all my stupid responses (although the apologies would have been exchanged earlier) and assuring to take things less aggressive then on. Soon after that, I typically decide to strive hard to gain patience, try and change to be nicer sober person and to think nearly 100 times before reacting. But, I m not an achiever here at all …coz’ when my husband is back, while having a lovely koochi-kooing, blissful life, when he floats a serious topic and when there is a debate, I end up losing my cool, again getting back to square 1. What happened to those promises I made for myself? Why am I not able to have patience? Why do I react without thinking? Why do I flash those harsh sentences? Why is there a graph in my tone? And only at the end, why do I realise that my sweet other half is just back and that I should resist un pleasant talks, that I should give in sometimes….. Oh! it really feels difficult to be patient. Yes, I do know that all this comes by practise and experience, but, Lord! When will I be able to conquer that patience? Will I ever … is the question. And here is why I say, To me, it feels like Rocket Science!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting blog indeed, wish there was a school somewhere they taught patience one of the short term courses eh??? Even I thought if your parents are patient it would just come down to their children so, we neednt worry about practicing hard...bhagwaan jab patience create kar raha tha toh socha kyon nahi yeh sab baatein, ab hame mushkil mein daal diya na...Lekin tu fikar mat kar dahling..we will come over this hurdle... guess all we have to keep doing is reminding ourselves, so we save $$$ on text and calls isn't it?

Chitra said...

Hey koks...su true. Yeah only wish we had some school teaching us patience or if it were natural to inherit the quality genetically!. But, as you say, we will pass the hurdle some day!

Friendsri said...

Chitra.. thrilled to know that I'm not the only one around :) Seriously, every time I tell myself "oh my! I behaved so childish!" Every time I tell myself (as I attribute so many things so often nowadays) - its all because I'm growing old! But I thought patience was supposed to grow with age???? practice and experience???

Chitra said...

Hey friendsri...he he ya patience is meant to grow with age true, we got to be good at practising the conquering bit I guess and to be a little more dedicated but feels just close to impossible sometimes. On the contrary, it gets even difficult when the thought "Why should one change, try be the way you are" creeps in, it gets tougher....too much blade? he he we'll be fine!

Arti said...

Superb man.... gr8 to read ur blogs.... now i'm "inspired" to create one :-) and yup...patience is surely a rocket science..... we all have similar experiences

Chitra said...

Hey..r3 sweets thanks da....yes create one it is soo cool i tell u.

Seema said...

wow...feels like u have just described me in this blog of urs:)....Trust me,i too face the same problem dear...i feel, lack of patience and ego is a deadly combination...i guess most of us suffer with this problem...while my hasty reaction to discussions/talks with my spouse is influenced by lack of patience, by the time I endup in a state of self realisation ,ego takes a toll on me and its difficult to fight back and apologise for the immature behaviour...its probably a human nature, and most of us suffer with this irrespective of whether you are a male/female.what do you think? I often suffer with this problem.

seema

Chitra said...

Hey Seems...I agree its ego that the monster in life and I am sure we will all learn slowly and be able to handle things a lot better. Whatever it is I feel realising ones mistakes is important. We will all get there!